Skip to main content

Being that this will only be my 2nd snow season with Aspire, I have questions. I was lucky enough to sit down with an Aspire rep at the SIMA conference in Pittsburg last month, and was able to have a few of the questions that I could remember answered; however, as we move closer to snow many more questions will surface and thought it would be a useful tool to have a topic just on snow. Yes, it is only July; however, I start sending contracts out the 2nd week of August. 

A little about our company: we are based out of Muskegon, Michigan and average about 93” of snow. This number has diminished the past 3 years, but am hopeful with all the rain we have gotten this year it continues during the winter months so we can have a much needed prosperous year. 

I guess my first topic for discussion will be: When you do your scheduling for snow events, how do you handle multi-visits within a 24-hour window. Last year we ran in to a lot of billing issues when my drivers had to plow a property multiple times within the same day. Have any of you experienced this, and if so, how did you schedule that? 

We’re only going into our 2nd snow season and don’t get nearly the volume you do (we’re in northern Virginia).  However, discovered that what helped us was to consolidate all the plowing hours onto a single ticket.  That’s done in two ways.

1. When the crew uses Crew Mobile: When a crew gets to the job and clocks into a service, it will notify them if there was another ticket for that service/property worked within the last 24 hours and gives them the option to clock into that ticket.  We tell the crews to choose that option, if it pops up.  I assume it’s the same in Aspire Mobile
  2. When we review the snow tickets after the event: We’ll group the work tickets by property to make sure there’s only one ticket for each service on a property.  If we see that a crew leader has mistakenly created another ticket, we’ll just use the “Swap Work Ticket Cost” feature to move all the labor, material, and equipment hours onto the same ticket.

The end result is that we have only one ticket per service (we also offer some sidewalk clearing too), which keeps things concise on the invoice & simplifies tracking costs for us.  I hope that helps.

Aspire is hosting weekly Snow Q&A sessions to help clients prepare for the upcoming snow season. They are currently scheduled for Wednesdays from Noon to 1pm Central.   Register Here!