Skip to main content

Hey everyone, 

What are you doing for non-commercial estimating of materials for irrigation installs? This seems to be our biggest hang up as we have never done it before (previously bidding via a set price per sqft.)

Interested to hear what everyone is doing there. 

Hey Chase. I have set up all my residential irrigation installations up using kits. I factor in all my material, machine usage, and labor and charge per head. My gears are set at one price and sprays at another. My tap out, controller and mods, vacuum breaker, and any boring is charged in addition with my head count. 

Commercial is a different animal. You could set it up as a kit, but so many variables like the type of piping, size of valves, vacuum breaker (indoor or outdoor), and the list goes on and on. I find it easier using individual pricing for that. 

We use a kit now but need to factor in materials to it. We’re only a few months into aspire so we’ve just got our labor per sqft factored into the kit as it is now. 

However, we really want to get to the point where we have material in that kit as well. Do you actually have all of your material line itemed out in the kit or is it all just under a general “material” line item and factored at a certain $/sqft amount?