Skip to main content

Hello! I’m wondering what is the best way to handle a customer who was being billed per service for the first part of the season and then they’d like to pay ahead for remaining services. Adding a change order to the individual services doesn’t allow them to be Fixed Payment rather than Per Service. Adding a credit to that property or opportunity doesn’t automatically apply it to the next generated invoice either so billing staff won’t know that the future invoice doesn’t need to be sent because it doesn’t tell us anywhere during invoicing that an opportunity has a credit balance within Invoicing Assistant. 

Is there any way to create a future invoice for a service that hasn’t been completed? What would you do in this situation? 

Thank you for any tips or tricks! 

Would really like some help on this - this has been a huge struggle for us, I think there has to be an easier way to do this.

If its a per service invoice type, we would put the money on account and regard it to the opportunity. I agree with you that there is no easy way in IA to see that it doesn’t need to be sent to the client and that there is money on account. Our work around is as follows: On the opportunity details page we click into the invoice info icon and change the payment terms override to pre-payment. You will need to go to admin and add pre-payment as a payment term in lists. We then display payment terms in IA and if we see pre-payment as the payment term, we generate the invoice, go into the batched invoice and change the payment terms back to your normal payment terms are, then process as you would normally but don’t send to client. Then you go to payments and choose new payment, and apply the money on account to the invoice. At that point you can decide to email the invoice to the client or not with a $0 balance.

Here is our work around for the information about prepaid payment will be displayed on invoicing assistant.

On the property page, create an customer field - such as “payment status”, then update it once the payment has been received. This filed can be displayed on the invoicing assistant.

Check below link for more info please.

Using Custom Fields

Thank you everyone, these are very helpful! I will run them by the team and see what will work best for us.